Preventive maintenance on today’s vehicles is very important, especially on new vehicles. If you have a new vehicle still under factory warranty – there’s great news! You can take all your vehicles to one location for service and your factory warranty will remain in effect. How so? Simple – it’s the law.
In 1975, the U.S. Congress passed the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act – a federal law that governs consumer product warranties. Among other things, Congress wanted to ensure that consumers could get complete and straightforward information about warranty terms and conditions.
In short, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act gives you these rights:
- Generally, your vehicle manufacturer’s warranty cannot require you to return to your auto dealer for vehicle maintenance-or to only use the brand of replacement parts offered by that dealer.
- By law, your vehicle manufacturer’s warranty will stay in effect when you have regularly scheduled maintenance performed at a qualified facility, like our NAPA AutoCare Center, that uses appropriate parts and procedures.
The bottom line is that your warranty on your new vehicle stays in effect when a qualified NAPA AutoCare Center performs preventive maintenance.
For more information, visit your local NAPA AutoCare Center and ask for your copy of the “Know Your Rights” brochure.
More Maintenance Information
Each manufacturer has compiled a list of recommended service intervals. For details, just look in your owner’s manual. Each make and model has different recommendations, but here are some general guidelines:
- Oil/filter change and safety inspections are recommended every 3,000 miles.
- Minor service is recommended every 15,000 miles. At a minimum, this consists of an oil/filter change, a safety check and fluid check.
- Major service is recommended every 30,000 miles. This can include changing the oil/filter, spark plugs, gear oil or transmission fluid, air and fuel filter, flushing some or all fluids and adjusting valves (unless hydraulic).
Listed below are a few other benefits to keeping your car serviced at scheduled intervals:
- A regularly serviced vehicle will last 200,000, 300,000 and possibly 400,000 miles.
- A misfire can cause up to 50% less fuel mileage and a major increase in harmful emissions.
- Improper tire inflation wears tires faster and wastes fuel because the engine has to labor harder to move the vehicle.
- Improper tire alignment can wear out your tires more quickly.
The more timely vehicle servicing you do, the more money you save in the long run.
The longer you wait until you service, the harder your car has to work. Cars suffer carbon build up, dirty fuel injectors, and dirty throttle bodies. City driving is especially hard on cars. Fuel filters get plugged causing the pump to labor harder. This creates a domino effect on everything from the spark plugs to the transmission. Waiting doesn’t make sense.
At Padonia Auto Service, we employ ASE certified technicians who are experts in preventive maintenance. Call 410-666-3230 for an appointment or schedule one online today!